Over the years, we have ordered lots of boats with airseps and have retrofitted even more. I have to admit, I never really paid much attention to them before – it was just another option to me. But curiosity got the best of me and I started doing some research and found that these are an exceptional add on for any marine engine.
If you have an older noisy marine engine, airseps can quiet it down by 8 or 9 decibels (most diesel noise is in the intake). It can also help eliminate diesel smell as it recycles the unburned fuel back into the engine, with the added benefit of increasing fuel efficiency. The airsep returns the usable oil back to the crankcase effectively reducing oil consumption.
The Airsep is also equipped with an air restriction indicator and a resuable (washable) air filter. The Airsep is extremely simple in operation and has no moving parts. It does require some maintenance though.
1) Inspect, clean and/or replace primary air filter element.
2) Inspect, clean and/or replace small regulator element filter where applicable.
3) Inspect for missing springs or spring damage.
4) Inspect hoses for age, wear, or poor condition.
5) Apply sealing compound around Air Filter element seals.
6) Inspect pop-up restriction indicator, replace if older than 5 years.
In a nutshell, the benefits are:
- Quiets engine noise
- Reduces oil consumption
- Eliminates blowby
- Puts an end to most oil leaks
- Reduces engine wear
If you are interested in adding Airseps to your existing marine engine, contact us. If you already have them installed, don’t forget to have us service the filter the next time you are in for service.